Follow my blog with Bloglovin

Friday, August 7, 2015

Back to Sewing with a Blue Simplicity 1803


It's been a while since I've posted anything, or even sewed anything... I have had almost no time to sew during the last few months! This summer, I was finishing up my last class and final project for my graduate degree (I'm done, as of last week!). Plus, with my sister's beautiful wedding in June, I had too much other stuff going on that I didn't want to spend my time sewing. But now I that I've got a little more free time, I decided to sew up a new dress.



It was good to get back into my sewing room! I wanted to revisit the Simplicity 1803 pattern. I have made it a few times before, but I realized that it could be a much better fit for me. When I first sewed this pattern, even though I definitely should have, I never did an FBA. I can zip the dress up as is, but it definitely feels tight over my bust. I thought it looked good at the time I made it, but after wearing it, I realized how much better it could be. So I wanted to look at the pattern again and do an FBA to get a better fit. I traced a size 12, then made the adjustments. I made a quick muslin of the bodice - already so much better!


I couldn't decide what fabric to make my dress out of, but I happened to have some of this light blue pique fabric, which I had gotten in the remnant bin. I had originally made this pattern out of a black pique fabric, so I thought it would be interesting to try the adjusted pattern in the same type of fabric to get the best comparison between the original and adjusted patterns. Here's an attempt to compare the two dresses. The blue one definitely feels and looks more comfortable and not so squished.


I tried to gather the skirt as indicated in the pattern, but it just wasn't gathering evenly, so I changed the skirt to pleats. I also interfaced the facing like the pattern calls for (which I didn't do for any other versions I made), but it makes the neckline much crisper and nicer looking, so I will definitely make sure to include this extra step in the future versions that I make. Here are some details of the inside. I serged the seams inside.



Like I have always done with this pattern, I moved the pockets to the side seams, instead of between the front and side panels because it seems like a much more natural place for pockets.


This color is very... blue. I'm not sure how much wear I will get out of this because I usually stick to black and darker colors, so this is a little out of my comfort zone. The color actually looks okay in these pictures, but it is much brighter in real life. But I do really like the fit of the adjusted pattern, so I will definitely be using it again in the future. 

6 comments:

  1. Great dress and great fit! I like the blue :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The more I look at it, the more I like the color. I guess I just need to get used to not wearing only dark clothes!

      Delete
  2. Nice job. I agree that the blue looks good, especially for the summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think the color is growing on me... And you're right, it is definitely nice for summer weather!

      Delete
  3. Very nicely made and professional. That shade of blue is beautiful and looks great on you. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been wanting to make this one again. I have the material, now to find the time. I am going to try the neckline like the one you did. I will definitely be using the interfacing for it, thanks, and I'm gonna have to make the pockets. As easy as they are, why don't I make pockets in all my dresses! Love this make. The color is very pretty on you. :-)

    ReplyDelete