Follow my blog with Bloglovin

Friday, September 5, 2014

Finished: Black Simplicity 1803



I've seen a lot of versions of this pattern online (Simplicity 1803), and yes I know, it's a few years old now, but I finally just bought it and sewed one up. Ever since I saw Lauren's and Gertie's wonderful dresses, I could only envision this dress in black.



I made this dress out of black cotton pique. I moved the pockets to the sides, instead of the weird princess seam placement on the pattern.


fabric and cap sleeve detail
I really like the neckline and the scoop back. I have never owned a cap sleeve garment before because I thought they would look unflattering on me, but I quite like them on this dress. I did make the sleeves much smaller because they were very loose. Like you could see everything inside my dress through the sleeve. I took off about 1.25 inches from each sleeve, which made them much more flattering.



I cut a size 12 and didn't need to change too much for it to fit. I took in the side seams slightly (about 3/8" on each side). I also cut off 3.5 inches from the bottom, and did a larger (1") hem. I used an invisible zipper because, well, just because it's what I always use. I know how to install it and I like how it looks. I want to learn how to neatly install regular zippers, but I haven't attempted it again since I discovered invisible zips.


Pocket fabric

I already have my next dress from this pattern cut out. I'm using a yellow lace, which I will underline with yellow fabric. 

No comments:

Post a Comment